Quick! Tell me if you’ve heard about this recently:
- Apple put out a new version of the iPhone, and apparently people were a bit upset about a few things.
- Today (July 5th) was the day that Doc set on the Delorean to ‘25 years in the future’ (for the record, it isn’t).
- Steve Jobs wrote something about Flash to Adobe.
- A goal was scored in the World Cup.
- Someone’s giving away some shit.
- Twilight. Enough said.
- The guy from Zappos wrote an article about selling his company.
- …the list goes on…
Of course, I’m talking about twitter. It seems lately whenever something hits the ol’ Twit with a modicum of interest, the RTs begin in earnest. One or two trickle in , then the wave begins. 10 at a time. Then 10 or 20 more.
So I have to ask: Has twitter become the new email forward?
I sure as shit hope not. I like twitter. It’s amusing, I’m able to have conversations with people, and I even get some work out of it (quite a bit, actually). But between the recent outages, the reply spam, and now seeing the same article / link 30 times in a day, it’s beginning to wear thin. It’s noise. You aren’t contributing. For all the talk about community and connections, it’s one step above fucking spam. Yes, I’m all for sharing information. That’s the point. But is there any benefit to perpetuating this? Am I wrong here? By all means, correct me if that’s the case.